Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Wizard's Heir by Devri Walls


Tybolt’s a Deviant, a hated race immune to direct magic in a world where Wizards ensure survival. But when he loses his entire family to a spell-made storm he joins an elite group of Wizard hunters, organized beneath the new non-magic wielding king. 

Now eighteen, he spends his days capturing Wizards. But the nights are his, reserved to feed the starving villagers of Eriroc under cover of dark. There’s always more people in need than he can help, and one of these days he’s going to hang for theft from the royal kitchens. 

Although Tybolt and his fierce partner, Auriela, have imprisoned many Wizards, the one partially responsible for the storm that killed Tybolt’s family is still out there: Alistair. When an old informant claims to have information regarding their elusive prey, everything changes. 

In a cruel twist, Tybolt realizes he isn't who he thought he was at all. How can he save himself, the people, and those he loves while keeping his secrets safe? Can he hide his true nature and allow the corrupt king to remain on the throne? 

Or will he have to unveil himself and risk possible execution to save them all? 


The Wizard's Heir is one of my top 3 YA fantasy stories of 2015.

The environment is primitive, reminiscent of raw fantasy lores. I truly loved the setting and how flawlessly it fit the overall plot. It's heavily laced with characteristics of Robin Hood without being an actual fairy tale spin off. The ideas actually felt fresh and unique, but every detail that reminded me of the beloved classic would excite me that much more. It was inspiring and fun to read from start to finish.

I adore Tybolt's character. He harnesses a kindness and compassion all of those around him seem to have forgotten.  The twists surrounding his heritage are brilliant.  None like him have ever existed before, making him the prime candidate for bringing genuine peace and acceptance into a kingdom that is severely lacking. 

Aureila has led a life of traumatic circumstances which harden both her heart and her demeanor. Life continues to throw her curve balls, but with Tybolt in her life everything she knows is about to change. I loved her character. 

Walls did a wonderful job at capturing the source of prejudices and remolding perspectives to see beyond the gray areas.  There really is just so much to love in this story and the topics that she touches base with and the values represented makes it even more ideal for teenagers. My children aren't yet ready to read at this age level, but I will definitely have it ready for them ahead of time. I see myself reading it many times in the future myself and if I need a good book to pick me up after disappointments this has made my "go-to" list! I would give more than 5 Stars if it were allowed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment