Friday, February 6, 2015

Aphrodite's Secret by Samantha Ketteman


BOOK DESCRIPTION :

Kaira lives in the dark world of exotic dancing for survival and the rent. When one man enters her life, her world is turned upside down and inside out, where reality and fantasy seem to intertwine. 
Kaira feels the eyes of a striking man watching her every move on stage. Zane is a scarred man with many secrets, one of which is the knowledge of who and what Kaira really is and the danger she will face. 
While Zane fights a subconscious battle about what to tell her and whether he cares enough to get involved, another has noticed her as well; and Ithacan, sent to destroy her for what she is and take her powers to the God that has commanded that all Forgotten be exterminated so that he may absorb their powers and rule the Gods absolutely. 
Before Kaira realizes what is coming for her, she finds herself tumbling into a world where a scarred man that she is inexplicably attracted to will become her only hope. A hideous creature, one such as she's never seen, is hunting her and trying his best to destroy everything and everyone she knows to get what he wants for his Master, and only Zane knows why. 


REVIEW:
Aphrodite's Secret shines light on people forced to being a part of a damaged world, hushing the typical judgement, while at the same time providing entertainment through the snarky characters.  Perhaps my initial failure to include Aphrodite's Secret to my TBR list was Kaira's profession as a stripper.  I honestly wasn't sure this would be a paranormal romance that could stack up against my usual preferences. It took no time before I actually found myself excited to review this book! 

Jasmine and Kaira felt like long, lost best friends I've been dying to catch up with. I enjoyed their humble yet strong personalities, witty dialogues, and the strength of their friendship. 

As male protagonists go, Zane's vulnerabilities shattered my heart and I couldn't find out quickly enough of Kaira would subdue his insecurities.  

And for the evil villain of the story: expect explicit, morbid details when he's involved. He's straight out of a horror story and I applaud the author's ability to paint truly horrific scenes. 

SPOILER ALERT: 

The ending did not suffice for me. 

I am pro "Happily Ever After", but I am a cliffhanger loving kind of girl. I am glad that they aren't married and I'm hoping for a lot of drama and tension in the second installment.  The kind that has me screaming internally to just tell the other person their feelings, resolve misunderstandings, and unnecessary jealousies while secretly basking in them. 
I really enjoyed Aphrodite's Secret and with little to no clues what Nyx's Light will contain... I am impatient for it's release. 

5 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment