Saturday, January 9, 2016

The Sea Queen (The Dark Queens Book 1)

Calypso, Queen of the Seas, is mad. Spitting mad. Ghosts of the dead are fouling her waters. She wants this problem fixed, and she wants it fixed now. Rushing off in search of Hades, Lord of the Underworld, to demand answers, she’s soon shocked to discover him bound and standing trial before a jury of his peers—for nothing less than murder. 

Calypso normally despises the beastly gods, all of them, but there’s something about seeing Hades bound as he is that gives her an evilly clever idea. Tired of being a virgin queen, she wishes to shed that boring image once and for all, and no one seems quite as fit for the task as the gorgeous and brooding Hades. Of course, there is the minor problem of murder to deal with, but Calypso is bound and determined to have her way. 

And when a dark queen gets an idea, nothing and no one can stand in her way… 

REVIEW

I desperately wanted to love this book. It is because I've read this authors work under a different name and she has written one of my favorite series: The Kingdom Series. Actually I've promoted the Kingdom series on my blog consistently for the past 8 months. I'm obsessed with it.

This book, however, is probably the least favorite I've read by her. I don't doubt that some will genuinely love it. There are parts that are too humorous to ignore and others that reek seduction. 

I just felt that the storyline lacked depth. Perhaps it was written only for the humor and sexual allure? That could very well be the case.  Ultimately,  the female protagonist, the infamous Calypso, obliterated my enthusiasm. More specifically it was the dialogue and the essence of her character. The context explains the purpose behind her nature , and it's fitting. It's just not for my interests personally. 

I give it 2 stars because I did find myself intrigued enough to finish the story and because I know that this author in particular is talented in bringing the essence of diverse characters to life with seemingly great ease. Though this particular book didn't fare well with my expectations I have every intention of reading the next book in the series.

2 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment