Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Wilds: Book 1 by Donna Augustine


My name is Dahlia but I’m called a Plaguer, a person who survived the Bloody Death. When the virus first hit the world, it ravaged the human race. I thought I was lucky to survive it but survival comes at a cost. Ever since the sickness, I see things and I’m hunted for these visions. 

Some seek me out because they want to keep their secrets safe. They don’t want the world to know the truth of what they are. Others, like Dax, want my knowledge. Dax has secrets of his own but as long as he helps me evade the Dark Walkers, he can keep them. There's only one place left for people like me, the Wilds, and only one man who can lead me there. 

This book is for all the Plaguers, the truth sayers branded and marked as liars, often hunted and sometimes forgotten. This book is for the girl who was right.


I wish I hadn't been so tired while writing my review for the first book in this series. Perhaps I would have been more thorough. Especially considering I already knew that the second installment exceeded my expectations.  I decided a rewrite is in order.

So, here's a little back story:
 
The Bloody Death is a plague that nearly wiped out the human race over 100 years prior to the story's timeline. Catching this plague and surviving it is as much a curse as it is a blessing and it is extremely rare. Those who survive unknowingly have magic and with their abilities they are able to recognize "Dark Walkers." Once it is revealed that a survivor, aka plaguer, exists they are locked away and tortured until they are dead. Society brands them insane, dangerous, and infectious.

The story is told by Dal's point of view and obviously she is a survivor, also known as a plaguer. She's rescued by Dax in book one, but it takes a while before he reveals his agenda. He owns a farm and is the leader of many people. He's rough around the edges and his interior appears to made of ice.

After abuse, isolation, and nearly being starved to death Dal is resolute about being toughest kid on the block. Obviously a nice match right? There are twists and turns in the dystopian that are pleasant and I enjoyed the over all storyline. Yes, the book needs work and the action scenes should be more thorough. I love Dal's character, but the scenes of her naivety conflict with her witty and dry sense of humor. Rest assured her character does grow exponentially in the second installment. The naevity versus the intelligence of her bantering is still a bit of an issue, but I really do like her.

Over all it has an atmosphere reminiscent of the Walking Dead, only it's better. There's magic and strange beasties roaming through night. There is certainly own unique flare. I personally consider the series worth reading. It may not make my top 5, but I did really enjoy it. I read both books in a day if that's any indication. 

4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment